Saturday, July 31, 2010

Baratti e Milano Venezuela Cacao 80% Extra Fondente

75g bar
Ingredients: Venezuela cocoa, sugar, cocoa butter, soy lecithin, natural vanilla extract

Last time I reviewed Baratti & Milano, I was impressed by the depth of chocolate flavor in the 88% bar. This time around I'm trying a gift from the same friend, Baratti & Milano's Venezuelan 80% cacao bar. Those paltry 8% and a single source couldn't make much of a difference, right?

The 80% bar comes from the same mold and has the same dull finish, though I'd wager the color is warmer and brighter than the black-brown of the 88% bar. While I no longer have that one for a side-by-side comparison, the scent here doesn't strike me as “spicy perfume heady with vanilla” so much as sweet and caramelized, like a toasted marshmallow.

I wasn't feeling like a super-dark bar today, so I was nervous to eat another of Baratti & Milano's “extra-bitter” bars, but I needn't have worried. Oh sure, it's dark and intense, but it has the sweet support staff that the 88% bar only utilized as a background note. The flavor isn't as marshmallowy as it smelled either, more nutty, with a good portion of bitterness and very little sourness. To my taste buds, this is not a fruity chocolate.

Conclusion: Baratti e Milano Venezuela Cacao 80% Extra Fondente is...well, it doesn't stand out for me, but it's tasty.

[Note: I couldn't find a good website showing this bar.]

No comments:

Post a Comment