Saturday, November 19, 2011

Vivani Dark Chocolate with Orange


3.5oz (100g)
Ingredients: Organic cocoa liquor, o. raw cane sugar, o. cocoa butter, o. orange oil
11g sugar/42g serving (26.2% by wt.)

Corporate Info: Vivani is a young subsidiary of Germany's Weinrich (a.k.a. corporate-sounding Ludwig Weinrich GmbH & Co. KG), and I've seen a selection of its bars all around Seattle, including today's Dark Chocolate with Orange. Vivani's focus is on being organic, so much so that the company's unveiling was at an organic trade fair. They also make claims about the positive effect of their farming practices on local communities as well as avoiding genetically modified ingredients (like common emulsifier soy lecithin), a widespread concern in Europe.

Appearance: Slightly reddish and fairly matte.

Smell: Rich with a little spice.

Taste: Texture is fatty-creamy and mouth-filling, the kind that coats your tongue and teeth and makes you want to sip some water. That's not good or bad, just a matter of preference. The flavor reminds me of what perfumers call “Orientals”—”exotic” woods and spices like nutmeg and cedar that make the whole bar taste rich, with the bitter edge of citrus peel. (To be clear though, this is relatively subtle, not like, say, Leysieffer's cardamom bar.) All in all, orange oil doesn't really do it for me as a chocolate additive, but from a more objective standpoint I think the unexpected complexity it contributes is pretty neat.

Conclusion: Vivani Dark Chocolate with Orange offers that complex orange oil spiciness that may or may not be right up your alley.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't yet had a Vivani bar that is to my liking, I've just felt disappointed. I haven't had this one, though.

    The artwork's nice though, I guess:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't really either. I tried the green tea one ages ago and it was really strong and bitter, and I think there was a lemon one that obviously didn't leave much of an impression. I guess their flavor palette just doesn't do it for me?

    ReplyDelete