Friday, January 15, 2010

Green & Black’s Organic Dark Chocolate 85% Cocoa Content

3.5oz (100g) bar
Ingredients: Organic chocolate liquor, o. cocoa butter, o. fat-reduced cocoa powder, o. raw cane sugar, o. vanilla extract, soy lecithin, o. whole milk powder
6g sugar/40g serving (15% by wt.)

Green & Black’s 85% bar is one of my favorites, a mainstay of the Chocolate Basket and the main reason I have an abiding fondness for Green & Black’s. I don’t know why it took me this long to review it.

The mouthfeel of this bar is fairly waxy: It’s firm and very smooth, but I wouldn’t call it creamy. The flavor  is deep and fruity, with only a touch of bitterness and a minimum of the unpleasantly sour aftertaste of many other dark chocolates. As one might imagine of such a dark bar it’s not exactly sweet, but the lack of bitter and sour notes make it surprisingly easy to eat, and the depth of flavor makes it more interesting than, say, the Newman’s Own 70% bar.

Conclusion: Green & Black’s 85% bar has a mild complexity with few sharp edges. An easy eating chocolate for lovers of very dark bars.

P.S. Big player Cadbury bought Green & Black’s in 2005, but thus far it seems to have maintained Green & Black’s high quality. Now that chocolate giant Hershey’s has made a play for Cadbury, fans of Green & Black’s might wonder if the chocolate would suffer under new ownership. Stay tuned…


[Update: It's Kraft! I have no idea what this will do to Green & Black's--we'll just have to see.]

3 comments:

  1. I, too, really love Green and Black 85% bar. A tasty caffeine pick-up in the middle of the afternoon, I tell myself that I'm eating this yummy treat for medical reasons (to increase my energy level and productivity)

    I'm glad you reviewed my favorite chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many mgs of caffeine in a serving of Green & Black's 85% dark chocolate bar?



















    b

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question! I had no idea so I started digging around, and the most informative sounding article was this one:

    http://www.amanochocolate.com/articles/how-much-caffeine-is-in-chocolate/

    It would seem to indicate that a 1oz serving of 85% cacao chocolate would probably have just under 50mg of caffeine.

    ReplyDelete