Friday, March 26, 2010

Theo Organic Fair Trade Toasted Coconut Dark Chocolate 70% Cacao

3oz (84g) bar
Ingredients: Organic fair trade cocoa beans, oft. sugar, o. toasted coconut, oft. cocoa butter, o. vanilla bean
13g sugar/42g serving (31% by wt.)

I know I’ve talked a lot about Theo lately, so I promise I’ll take a break after today! I first noticed this toasted coconut bar on Theo’s website and kept an eye out for it for a few weeks, then finally spied the pastel pink wrapper in my local bookstore’s Theo display. It’s one of their seasonal offerings for spring, though other than the wrapper color I’m not sure what makes coconut particular springy. Regardless, I was pleased to find such an unusual combination. Okay, yes, coconut is a common (if divisive) ingredient in mass-market chocolate candy bars, but I’ve rarely seen it in such dark bar form, and it seemed like fun.

First the good news: The coconut contributes an interesting shredded texture, almost crispy at first bite, that is also fine enough to mostly avoid post-chew stringiness. Now the bad news: The bar seemingly uses Theo’s usual 70% cacao blend, which has a long, sour finish. The coconut flavor is subtle, and I think it would’ve been better paired with a much milder chocolate—not less dark, just with some of the tart edges shaved down. I love the texture, but I don’t think the flavor pairing works.

Conclusion: Theo’s Coconut 70% cacao bar has a fun texture, but the sour chocolate overwhelms the more delicate coconut flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment