Friday, July 23, 2010

E. Guittard Nocturne 91% Cacao

2oz (56.7g) bar
Ingredients: Cacao beans, cocoa butter, cane sugar, soy lecithin, vanilla beans
5g sugar/57g serving (8.8% by wt.)

I'd heard of E. Guittard's chocolate via the reportedly high-quality baking wafers, though I never got around to buying any. Then I was given the chance to try the Nocturne bar courtesy of my generous Pralus donor, but I didn't feel like chocolate for a while (sacrilege!), so I've been working on this review for perhaps three weeks. Here goes...

The Nocture bar is small and thick, in a uniform, relatively matte basic brown. The aroma is quite nice, with dark, browned-caramel dried fruit: raisins, cherries, maybe figs. The taste is extremely dark and somewhat bitter but doesn't leave much impression otherwise, so I don't have much more to say about it other than that this may be why it took me so long to review the bar. On the other hand, a visitor tried some and rather liked it, a reminder of how personal taste in chocolate can be!

Conclusion: E. Guittard Nocture 91% Cacao is dark and bitter but not all that interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment