Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Butlers Dark Chocolate

100g (3.52oz) bar
Ingredients: Cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter, soy lecithin, vanilla
32g sugar/100g bar (32% by wt.)

I bought this bar in New Zealand, but there's nothing kiwi about this Irish chocolate I found in a specialty shop. I'd just never seen it before and thought I'd try it.

Corporate Info: Butlers Chocolates is a Dublin-based confectioner that produces the usual truffles, toffee, and so on. The company also operates and franchises a number of Butlers Chocolate Cafés, mostly in Ireland but also London, New Zealand (aha!), and Pakistan (hey, why not?), and apparently they've won assorted awards. Alas, don't bother looking for fair trade items here.

Appearance: Glossy, reddish, smooth (well, aside from all the molded ridges).

Smell: Pleasant, not especially pungent or mild. Reminds me of blackberries.

Taste: Tart, nutty, caramely, nice sweetness. Texture is waxy and a little chalky; too waxy for me, as it comes off as cloying.

Conclusion: Butlers Dark Chocolate is pleasant enough but not amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment