Thursday, June 16, 2011

Theo Organic 91% Dark Costa Rica


[Note: This is the re-post of a review that should have appeared (and did?) on May 12.]

3oz (84g) bar
Ingredients: Organic cocoa beans (Costa Rica), o. sugar, o. cocoa butter, o. ground vanilla bean
4g sugar/42g serving (9.5% by wt.)

Corporate Info: I've discussed Theo many times before. It's a bean-to-bar chocolatier here in Seattle, some bars are available nationwide, everything is organic and fair trade, Theo has an A rating from the Better World folks, etc etc. I've loved the confections but not always the dark chocolate. What will I think of this single-origin bar? (Note: I'm assuming this is the same as the one on the site, but with different packaging.)

Appearance: Orange-brown, and not as dark as you'd think.

Smell: Bitter and tannic, with some tropical banana.

Taste: In order of experience: Quite bitter, almost charred flavor I taste in the middle of my tongue. Texture is very smooth. Tart. I taste sweet on the very back and sides of my tongue. Basically, the flavor is stronger, weaker, or just different depending on the moment and where in the mouth we're talking about. Interesting.

Conclusion: Theo Organic 91% Dark Costa Rica is very dark and challenging, but it certainly isn't boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment