100g bar
Ingredients:
Sugar, cocoa mass, cocoa butter, poppy seed, soy lecithin
Corporate
Info:
(Copied from 6/9/12; see that post for more) Leysieffer was founded
in 1909 and began making chocolate truffles in 1936. The company is
still family-operated, but it now includes 19 confectionary shops
throughout Germany as well as a half dozen “bistros” serving cake
and whatnot. And if you're really curious, you can order its products
online.
Today's
Bar:
Chocolate and poppy seeds! I noticed more poppy seed in Germany than
here in the US. We're not talking on pizza or anything, but anyone
familiar with hamentaschen has tried poppy seed in desserts of German origin, and I saw them in the odd pastry or bagged for sale with
other nuts and seeds. I don't know if Leysieffer has included them
whole or ground or what, but I guess I'll find out.
Appearance:
On the outside, this looks like any other Leysieffer bar, but a cross
section shows tiny white flecks. I think of poppy seeds as black, so
either these are magically different or it's what you get when you
break one. How about that.
Smell:
I think just chocolate? If there's something more there, it's not
obvious to me.
Taste:
Man, I don't know. It mostly just tastes like chocolate, but with a
slightly gritty (not sand-like, something softer) texture. These
poppy seeds are either ground/broken up or really easy to chew,
leaving little bits hanging around in your mouth as an aftertaste of
sorts. Not sure about any particular flavor, though my sometimes
co-taster claims it “tastes like poppy seed.” “What does that
mean?” [Long pause.] “I don't know, poppy seed?” Given how
low-key this is—just a light texture as far as I can tell—I'm not
sure why anyone would search it out. Maybe people who eat a lot of
poppy seed products become sensitive to their subtle flavor, or
buyers just want that texture?
Poppy
seed + chocolate conclusion:
Underwhelming, but fine. I'd like to try something with a higher
poppy seed content, or even a filling of poppy seed paste, as perhaps
that would emphasize what the ingredient has to contribute to
chocolate.
No comments:
Post a Comment